Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Numbers: Inequity or Social Compensation?

If everyone you passed, every person you ever looked eyes into, you saw their "number."What would you do? Would be scared, or just feel special? Would you want that power? Not if you're 15 year old Jem in the ever so empowering, action packed book called Numbers.
I would've never imagined myself picking up a fantasy book. Yuck, but to my surprise, I actually like it. Numbers is a captivating young adult book about a girl named Jem, who resides in England's foster care, and she knew it was coming because of her "gift." Jem has the gift to see numbers, no not 1, 2, 3...well, actually yes, but she can see your death date. Yep, YOUR death date, just by a glance at the eye, it's appeared. "Wow, that's so cool." Uh no. Y'know why? Would you want to know the day your Mum died? I wouldn't think so, and that's how she found out her "special ability."

I crossed my fingers that there wasn't going to be any lovey dovey stuff, but *sigh* it happens. The stuff that the characters in the book have to go through is just really heart-breaking, and sometimes even disturbing. Especially what happens to Jem shows complete injustice, a person should not have to ever go through what she went through. She had to face; the fact that she knows when people die, whether it's today, tomorrow or a week from now, it's true, her Mum's heroin addiction went too far onto death, and a foster care agency really? On top of all the bullying she gets at school, is that fair? Honestly, is it? No, not to me.

If I were to compare the things in the book vs. the world, it would definitely not be the same. The girl has no family, she has the ability to know more than one should, she only has one person she can trust. Some people are relatable, but are most? Not likely. I get a deep sorrow inside when I read what goes on, at least there's him. Him, is Spider. Her only, trustworthy friend, and honestly, I love that. I love that she has one person she can trust, it makes the story even more interesting than it's getting. What I adore even more is (SPOILER ALERT!) that Jem tries to save him, yes save him. His date is 12/15/10, and what's it today 12/8/10...and he's on the verge of dying and she saved him. But the question that i'm dying to know the answer of is, will she be able to save him on the day of his death? What do you think, would you be able to handle the hardcore stuff that Jem goes through, with knowing a little too much?

Now, i'm roughly half way through the novel, and I want to keep reading not, unfortunately like my last reading experience. You need to read it right now, so that you too, can get into the mind of Jem, and experience what this talented yet so strong girl has to go through.

Yours truly,
Zarrin 813 (:. 

2 comments:

  1. I like the questions you ask in the beginning. And I agree, fantasy is really boring. You made me want to read it now, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some fantasy stories are really boring, and some are really great. (Like Harry Potter). From what you told me, thought, this didn't strike me as a fairies and elves type of fantasy story. But there was a fantastical element.
    The plot seems really cool as well, but the problem with a lot of teen novels I've read are that they have great plot ideas but they screw it up with their unoriginal writing. It seems like you're enjoying this book, though, so that's cool.
    I like how you made fun of the lovey-dovey stuff. Why oh why must all teen novels have drippy romance? It's kind of brainwashing us to think that we need guys. Personally, I plan to be an intelligent social outcast in high school... No big deal. (My mind is set on feminism right now because of Sold...)

    ReplyDelete