Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Teen Angst? Naaah. . .

I picked up this book and thought, Ned Vizzini? This is all mines. I loved almost every Ned Vizzini book ever, whether it was It Was Kind of a Funny Story or Be More Chill. I knew I would love this too. When I picked up this book, I read it and thought "Quasi-Autobiography" what? Even before I read it, I obviously HAD to Google it, and found this: Quasi-seeming, or virtual. The definition really didn't make any sense to me, could a autobiography even be 'quasi' or um, virtual? No. But what did I do? I read it, because you never know what Ned Vizzini could write about.

Teen Angst? Naaah. . .  is by an innovative, phenomenal, and particularly one of my favorite authors ever, Ned Vizzini. This wasn't just some regular story, it was an autobiography, by Ned Vizzini himself. Vizzini tells his readers about his crazy, hysterical, and easy-to-relate-to adolescence years. He tells about his experience with love, high school, camp, colleges, parents, and what not?! He wrote about everything-really. He narrarated his whole, well actually part of his life in a entertaining approach. 

Obviously there were 'ROTFL' ("roll on the floor laughing") moments, where I did actually laugh out loud, and had to deal with the dirty looks that my sister gave, but then there were some serious, relatable moments. Being the eldest of them all, like Ned I did get it when he had to cope with his annoying siblings, and my parents yelling to be the best. On top of that, there are more things we have in common like we both grew up in NYC, and he did study for the SHSAT, like i'm doing now. Moreover, since those were my most relatable moments, they were also my favorite. At this point, I really understood what he meant by 'quasi', because it did seem virtual to me. I felt like I was in his stories, I wish I was.

I am thankful to have finished this wonderful book, by the talented Ned Vizzini, and would like to commend him for writing a beautiful biography, that really does let his natural gift shine through the whole piece. It felt so good to read an autobiography that was so rich, and full of it. Something I didn't like was and I question is; Why didn't he finish the book? I mean like he finished it, it's published, but I felt and pretty sure, others did too that the story's not completely done. Was the adolescence years, the best years of his life? It was just left there, I really wish he did finish it, though. 

I recommend this great piece of work to anyone, really. Especially if you are in need of a good laugh or interesting story once in a while. It does teach some good morals that everyone should read about. But seriously, just read it for the hell of it. I'm positive you'll enjoy it as much as I did.

Yours truly, 
Zarrin Class 813. (;

1 comment:

  1. nice post, zarrin! i'm proud that you looked up quasi! i'm glad you had so many connections. NV does writing workshops for teens at the Park slope barnes and noble on a pretty regular basis...maybe you should go!

    ReplyDelete