Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Willow


Just finished reading a intense, emotional, and amazing book called Willow by Julia Hoban. When I picked up this book, I thought it was going to be one of those teen books that goes over the same story over, and over again. And, I was surprised to see how much I was proved wrong. I finished this captivating yet devastating novel in 2 days, 3 hours per night, with my Dad yelling at me for being up 'till 2 AM every night just to read it.
This novel is about a girl named Willow, a cutter who lost her parents through an accident and now lives with her brother, David, his wife, Cathy and their child, Isabelle. She believes they hate her, everyone hates her, but that all changed when she met the interesting, Guy. In the story, she cuts BECAUSE of what happened, she believes she killed them. She narrated the story in such a way that made me feel for her, made me feel different about cutters, it made me want to help her release her pain in a different way. I thought they were weird, cutters, but I once again, proved myself wrong.

When she met Guy, I immediately thought about a romance book. And that bored me, I wanted to put the book down that instant, but thank gosh I kept reading on. Guy is this well, interesting guy who she met at the library, her job. You thought since she met him, she would stop cutting and fall into his spell? You're wrong. It took a very long time for her to trust him, for to become friends and for to develop what they became at the end of the book. He didn't make her stop, because as smart of a girl she is, she did herself. He just led the way, and that's why I think he's the one of the most important characters in this book, he was the mentor to Willow.

There were so many important moments in the book and "OMG!" moments, but what I thought that was one of the top 3 was when; Willow and Guy went to Willow's old home, her old house with all the memories of her parents. Over there, she cried and cried, even though she said she didn't even since they died, Guy held on tight to her at the moment and I absolutely loved that moment, because it did show real friendship. It showed how two people, who barely knew each other until the last couple of weeks can have a such a prodigious relationship, I am actually really jealous. A theme that was led throughout the whole book, from the first line to the last was, really friendship can make you overcome the hardest thing you're going through. Because this what basically the book is about, not in a crappy teen love way. Something I adored about this book, and will obsess about forever is the last line, "And that if this is not a happy ending, it perhaps a happy beginning." I love it, i love it in ways word cannot describe. It's just so deep.

Is this behavior of self-harm okay? Is there no way to fight the way of a teen's life? These questions are answered in the story, please read. This author, Julia Hoban wrote this beautiful book in such a thought-provoking way that makes me want to read it over again. This book out of the many books I read, made me cry so much, as embarrassing as it is to write it down here. I praise you, Julia Hoban, I honestly do. And I would like to thank her for writing this enlightening yet sad book. I recommend it to anyone, teen or young adult. It teaches the most important life lessons you'll ever learn.

[If you're hurting yourself, you shouldn't. Get help and call the 1800-DONTCUT hotline today.]

Yours truly,
Zarrin Class 813.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Zarrin! it sounds likes this was an amazing reading experience. Your questions at the end are really thought provoking and made me want to read this. I also think it was a good touch to add the hotline number. DId the author of Willow include that somewhere in the book? I love it when Young Adult authors really try to help kids deal with real issues in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think overall this post has taught me not to judge a book by it's cover, literally. Like, I saw the cover image and thought "ugh, a cheesy teen girl trying to be emotional book." You have changed my mind. Tell me if you read any other good teen books, because those don't generally interest me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know? I have to agree. I am mow reading a book called IMPULSE and apparantly one of the kids likes to cut. When the author describes how she cuts- how deep the wound is and the sharp razor deeply scarring her skin- it feels nauseating! like I, myself is actually cutting. but i think the reason people cut is to cleanse themselves; like the germs of abuse were some how in them. that making their day is to to make yoursef hurt. But why ? ARE'T you hurting alredy?

    ReplyDelete